Former Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls takes over as chairman of Norwich

first_img The 48-year-old, a lifelong Canaries fan, will take up the non-executive role with immediate effect, the Barclays Premier League club have announced. Majority shareholders Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones said Balls would bring considerable economic knowledge and experience to the position. Former Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls has been named as the new chairman of Norwich. A statement read: “We’re absolutely delighted to confirm that Ed Balls is the new chairman of Norwich City. “His economic know-how and experience, coupled with his passion for all things Norwich City, will be a major asset for the board and we’re excited about working closely together with Ed, David McNally and the other directors in this new era for the club. “Ed will work closely with all of us on the short, medium and long-term strategy to shape the future of this great football club.” Balls was born in Norfolk and worked in financial journalism before moving into politics. He served as a Labour MP for 10 years from 2005 and was a minister from 2007-10. He was a Shadow Home Secretary and Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer before losing his seat in parliament at this year’s general election. He is now a senior fellow at Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government and a visiting professor at King’s College, London. He will work unpaid at Carrow Road and will continue with his existing academic, commercial, charitable and media activities. Balls said: “It’s an honour and a privilege to be asked to join the board of directors at Norwich City as chairman. “From the moment my dad first took me to watch City from the terraces at Carrow Road in 1973, my earliest ambition was to play for the club I loved. But the next best thing is to become chairman of Norwich City and do what I can off the pitch to help City succeed on the pitch. “The club’s immediate priority and focus is, of course, the retention of our hard-earned Premier League status, and the hard work of my fellow directors and all of my colleagues at the club means Norwich City is in great shape on and off the pitch going into 2016. “With that foundation, the challenge for all of us at Norwich is to go from the up-and-down fortunes I have known since I was a boy to an era of sustained success, and I will be proud to play my part in that.” Norwich were promoted back to the top flight under manager Alex Neil last season. They are currently 17th having moved out of the relegation zone last week with a 2-1 win at Manchester United, their first victory at Old Trafford since 1989. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

French Open 2019: Novak Djokovic falls to Dominic Thiem in 5-set semifinal thriller

first_imgDominic Thiem ended Novak Djokovic’s hopes of holding all four majors simultaneously for the second time in his career with a hugely impressive 6-2, 3-6, 7-5, 5-7, 7-5 victory Saturday in their French Open semifinal.World No. 1 Djokovic was aiming to join Rod Laver as the only man in history to possess all four slams on two occasions, but he came unstuck against the intelligent Thiem in a match controversially held over from Friday because of bad weather. Thiem will now meet Rafael Nadal on Sunday in a repeat of last year’s final. French Open 2019: Rafael Nadal sweeps Roger Federer to reach 12th Paris final The top seed was in a sullen mood on Friday and, despite getting a reprieve with play suspended after Thiem broke to lead 3-1 in the third set, he maintained that demeanour on another windy day on Court Philippe-Chatrier.World No. 4 Thiem quickly surrendered his overnight advantage, but he clinched the set with a break of serve, Djokovic taking his frustrations out on chair umpire Jaume Campistol. Related News A double fault essentially gifted Djokovic the fourth set, but Thiem, who achieved great success by drawing his opponent forward, surged ahead in the fifth, though his progress was checked by a missed chance to earn a second break just before rain forced the players off for an hour.Djokovic made a strong start when the action got back under way and saved two match points to get back on serve before Diem sealed the deal at the third attempt to hand Djokovic his first defeat in a semifinal or final at a major since the 2014 US Open.HISTORY for @ThiemDomiHe becomes the first Austrian to reach multiple Grand Slam finals after defeating Djokovic 6-2 3-6 7-5 5-7 7-5! #RG19 @rolandgarros pic.twitter.com/H0hA0TDLEJ— Tennis TV (@TennisTV) June 8, 2019Thiem saved break point in the first game of the day with a stunning forehand winner to end a rally at 23 shots, before celebrating vigorously after whipping a brilliant forehand down the line to close out the game.Djokovic restored parity and Thiem staved off another two break points – the first with a drop shot that clipped the net and fell on Djokovic’s side at the end of another great rally – before a miss from Djokovic gave Thiem a 5-4 lead.Thiem saw three set points come and go before some terrific defense and a backhand pass earned him another, which was converted when Djokovic found the net.Fifteen-time major champion Djokovic received a code violation for unsportsmanlike conduct and was frustrated with how early umpire Campistol was calling the score and thus starting the serve clock, but the fourth set moved in his favor following a wide backhand from Thiem.Thiem was back on level terms when a backhand looped off the net cord and lobbed Djokovic, who won the next eight points to restore his advantage at 4-2.Djokovic sent a drop shot into the net as he gave up his serve again, but a double fault from Thiem offered him a chance to serve out the set and he took it.Last year’s runner-up produced a stunning winner from the acutest of angles before failing to convert a break point in game two of the fifth set, though Djokovic dropped his next service game with an error at the net.An unfortunate bounce saw Thiem’s lob move out of Djokovic’s reach as Thiem earned another shot at breaking, but Djokovic esponded emphatically before the heavens opened and the players left the court.Djokovic managed to get back on serve when Thiem sent a lob long after the restart, but he was on the edge after three unforced errors and a double fault.Thiem failed to take two match points as he displayed nerves behind his serve in the ninth game. However, another three mistakes from Djokovic preceded a stunning forehand winner from Thiem to wrap up the match. STATISTICAL BREAKDOWNDominic Thiem [4] def. Novak Djokovic [1], 6-2, 3-6, 7-5, 5-7, 7-5WINNERS/UNFORCED ERRORSThiem – 52/60Djokovic – 39/53ACES/DOUBLE FAULTSThiem – 4/4Djokovic – 6/4BREAK POINTS WONThiem – 9/22Djokovic – 7/12center_img French Open 2019: U.S. teen Amanda Anisimova’s run ends in semifinals FIRST SERVE PERCENTAGEThiem – 69Djokovic – 75PERCENTAGE OF POINTS WON ON FIRST/SECOND SERVEThiem – 65/58Djokovic – 62/47TOTAL POINTSThiem – 167Djokovic – 159last_img read more

NSW STATE CUP & QLD STATE CUP/AUSTRALIA CUP

first_imgIt is a massive weekend for Touch around Australia with the NSW State Cup being held in Port Macquarie and the Queensland State Cup and Australia Cup being held at Kawana on the Sunshine Coast. Here you can find links to the results for both events. Also, our homepage will have more stories on the tournaments. Click here to view the NSW State Cup draw & results:NSW STATE CUP DRAW AND RESULTS Click here for the Queensland State Cup and Australia Cup draw & results:QUEENSLAND STATE CUP/AUSTRALIA CUP DRAW AND RESULTS See below for all the stories from the events:last_img read more

Proposed Manitoba law would keep Indigenous kids in care in their communities

first_imgThe Canadian Press WINNIPEG – The Manitoba government has introduced legislation it says will help children in care keep their Indigenous customs and family connections.“It allows Indigenous communities to have greater say in terms of the care of the children,” said Families Minister Scott Fielding.The bill amends the Child and Family Services Act to include the customary care model, which allows children to stay within their community under the guidance of extended family and community leaders.The agency in charge of child and family services in the area will work with parents or guardians to create a customary care agreement, where parental rights aren’t lost. The child’s Indigenous community is also notified and, in certain cases, will play a role in placing the child and customizing their care plan.“Each individual community is very much different, so it will take into consideration Aboriginal culture, tradition and heritage into the decision-making process,” Fielding explained.The caregiver and care home will have to meet current safety standards, he added.The model was promised by the former NDP government and was announced by the Progressive Conservatives in October as part of a larger overhaul of the child-welfare system.There are about 11,000 children in care in Manitoba and about 90 per cent are Indigenous. Fielding said the new legislation is a historic step towards supporting children while maintaining a cultural connection.Southern Chiefs’ Organization Grand Chief Jerry Daniels said supporting families, rather than apprehending children, is an important investment into the future.“Children who have a foundation of their culture do a lot better,” he said.Children involved in customary care will also be counted and tracked in a distinct way since the province is not apprehending or seeking a court order. However, they will be included in provincial data.Opposition NDP Leader Wab Kinew said he’s concerned about how the children will be counted because he said it’s important to know how many there are, in order to make sure they get the necessary resources and supports.Child welfare in Manitoba has been under scrutiny since the death of five-year-old Phoenix Sinclair in 2005. A public inquiry into the death showed social workers lost track of the young girl and missed signs she was in trouble before she was beaten by her mother and mother’s boyfriend.The province has also said it will release a review of how the child-welfare system handled Tina Fontaine’s case. Fontaine, 15, ran away from a Winnipeg hotel where she was being housed in August 2014 and her body was found wrapped in a duvet, weighed down by rocks, in the Red River nine days later.last_img read more

NCLAT annuls creditors voting on NBCCs bid for Jaypee Infra

first_imgNew Delhi: The National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT) Friday annulled voting by homebuyers and lenders on NBCC’s bid to acquire debt-laden Jaypee Infratech, and allowed renegotiation on the offer by May 30. Hearing a plea by IDBI Bank, seeking a stay or annulment of the voting process, a three-member NCLAT bench headed by Chairman Justice S J Mukhopadhaya also allowed nine homebuyers’ associations representing around 5,000 buyers to file intervention application. Also Read – Commercial vehicle sales to remain subdued in current fiscal: IcraThe appellate tribunal also allowed the Committee of Creditors (CoC) to renegotiate on NBCC’s bid by May 30. Fresh voting process will start from May 31, the bench said. On Thursday, voting started to approve or reject NBCC’s bid to acquire Jaypee group’s realty firm. As many as 13 banks and over 23,000 homebuyers of Jaypee Infratech have voting rights in the CoC. The voting process was to end on Sunday and the result was to be announced on May 20. In its order on Friday, the bench said,”in the meantime, the voting already taken is annulled.” Also Read – Ashok Leyland stock tanks over 5 pc as co plans to suspend production for up to 15 daysIDBI Bank, the biggest lender to the debt-laden realty firm, had opposed NBCC’s bid saying it was conditional. It said NBCC’s offer for the company was conditional upon grant of approval to transfer Yamuna Expressway’s business. The bench further said,”the CoC, if required, may renegotiate with NBCC by May 30, 2019 and will start fresh voting since May 31, 2019 and onwards.” The appellate tribunal left it to the CoC to approve the resolution plan of NBCC “if it is in accordance with law.” However, the bench said,”in case the CoC is not inclined to accept the plan they will not pass any order of rejection without prior permission of this Appellate Tribunal as the matter relating to their voting share and other financial creditors is pending consideration.” While allowing intervention application of homebuyers, the bench said their representative can take legal assistance considering the fact that the allottees have no expertise in the legal field. “Such legal professional is allowed to attend meeting of CoC to assist the representative but will not cast any vote nor express any opinion in the meeting,” the order added. Jaypee Infratech went into insolvency process in 2017 after the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) admitted an application by IDBI Bank-led consortium seeking resolution of the realty firm. In the first round of insolvency proceedings, a Rs 7,350-crore bid of Lakshdeep, part of Suraksha Group, was rejected by lenders. Later on in October 2018, interim resolution professional (IRP) Anuj Jain started a second round of bidding process to revive Jaypee Infratech on the direction of NCLT. Earlier this month, creditors, including banks and homebuyers, rejected a bid of Mumbai-based Suraksha Realty through a voting process, following which the CoC decided to consider NBCC’s offer. In its revised offer, NBCC proposed infusion of Rs 200 crore equity capital, transfer of 950 acres of land worth Rs 5,000 crore as well as Yamuna Expressway to banks and completion of flats construction by July 2023 in order to settle an outstanding claim of Rs 23,723 crore of financial creditors. Earlier this week, the CoC decided to put on vote the revised offer of NBCC, with homebuyers favouring the voting process while bankers dissenting. Lenders had written to NBCC seeking clarifications on certain relief and concessions put forward by the public sector firm in its resolution plan. However, NBCC decided not to dilute the conditions of exemption from income tax liability as well as from taking consent of development authorities for transfer of businesses. Clarifications from the NBCC were sought in the wake of the IRP flagging to the lenders that NBCC’s bid was conditional and non-binding. Jain, the IRP, had written to the CoC that NBCC’s revised bid was conditional as the plan would not be binding unless key relief measures such as extinguishing of income tax liability and exemption from seeking consent of YEIDA (Yamuna Expressway Industrial Development Authority) for any business transfer, were taken.last_img read more

German FM calls on Syrian opposition to join Geneva II

first_imgBERLIN– Steinmeier underlines talks have now entered into a decisive week ahead of Geneva II peace conference which will be a ‘unique opportunity’ for peace in Syria.German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier has called on the Syrian opposition groups to join Geneva II peace conference scheduled for January 22.“Entering political talks will be nothing but gain for the Syrian opposition,” Steinmeier said in an interview with the German public broadcaster ARD. “But in the war field the number of victims will continue to rise, without bringing any favorable outcome for the opposition,” he said, following the Friends of Syria group meeting in Paris. Steinmeier has underlined that talks have now entered into a decisive week ahead of Geneva II peace conference and this conference will be a “unique opportunity” for peace in Syria.German Foreign Minister dismissed any possible talks with radical groups fighting in Syria, stressing that Syrian opposition has also distanced itself from those radical groups.“Syrian opposition has been fighting in two fronts, in one front against the Assad regime, and in the second front against the radical Islamists,” Steinmeier said.“For a solution, we have to win the hearts and minds of the Syrian people. Once these are achieved, the radicals would not have any chance.”last_img read more

Deschamps Tactical changes were key to France win

first_imgFrance boss Didier Deschamps said that the tactical changes he made in the first-half had a key impact on his forwards in their 2-1 win over GermanyLes Bleus bounced back from Toni Kroos’ 14th-minute penalty to claim all three points in their Nations League clash with Germany after a brace from Antoine Griezmann in the second-half.It’s France’s 11th win in their last 15 matches and one more against the Netherlands at Rotterdam next month will secure them the top spot in Group A1.Speaking after the win at Paris, Deschamps praised the reaction of his players following a difficult opening 45 minutes and reflected on the changes he made during the game.“There was a reaction and we upped the intensity and tempo. The Germans played with real intensity in the first half,” said Deschamps on the UEFA website.“I modified my tactics after 25-30 minutes and found a better balance that gave more freedom to my forwards, especially Kylian (Mbappe) and Antoine (Griezmann) on the wings.Top 5 Bundesliga players to watch during the weekend Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 11, 2019 With the international activity cooling down for the next month, we go back to the Bundesliga’s Top 5 players to watch next weekend.The German…“It’s a good thing in terms of our aim of finishing top of the group, but we were up against a very good German side today.”France lead Group A1 with seven points from three games.#FRAALL 🇫🇷 2-1 🇩🇪 #NationsLeagueLe fait/homme du match, c’est _________. pic.twitter.com/ciFUWazno6— UEFA Nations League (@EURO2020) October 16, 2018last_img read more

Former Seward Correctional Officer Sentenced For Possession Of Child Pornography

first_imgStewart Blakeslee, 34, of Kasilof, was sentenced on Wednesday on a consolidated count of possession of child pornography. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享A former correctional officer from Seward’s Spring Creek Correctional Facility was sentenced for charges of possessing child pornography. On July 8, 2017, a warrant was issued by Palmer Court for Blakeslee, he was arrested and arraigned at the Kenai Courthouse and remanded to Wildwood Correctional Center. Blakeslee was employed as a correctional officer at Spring Creek at the time of his arrest. According to Megan Peters, spokeswoman for the Alaska State Troopers, they received allegations of distribution out of a hotel in the Wasilla area and then issued a search warrant for Blakeslee. He was there attending a DOC Prisoner Transport Officer School.center_img A subsequent search of his home computer in Kasilof found dozens of images and videos depicting child sexual exploitation, according to court documents. Blakeslee was sentenced to eight years with four suspended, seven years of supervised felony probation and registration as a sex offender for 15 years.last_img read more