U.S. Locks in Duties on Certain Indian Steel Pipes

first_imgThe U.S. International Trade Commission on Tuesday voted to lock in duties on imports of welded stainless pressure pipe from India as it affirmed the goods were harming the U.S. industry. Related Itemslast_img

Bhutan trucks drive into new traffic rules in Assam

first_imgTrucks from Bhutan carrying boulders and stone chips to Bangladesh have driven into the new traffic rules and hefty fines implemented belatedly in Assam via a notification on September 23.Exporters from Bhutan said about 40 trucks were seized for overloading in western Assam’s Bongaigaon district on Thursday last. SAARC agreementThis, they pointed out, was done despite an agreement among the SAARC countries on South Asian Free Trade Area (SAFTA) allowing a third country to be used as a transit between two member countries without hindrance.SAARC expands to South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation. Its members are Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.Ugyen Raften, the former president of the Indo-Bhutan Friendship Association, said Bhutanese traders have been transporting stone chips and other materials to Bangladesh for years without facing any problems. He admitted that some trucks carry more load than the standard 18 tonnes but SAFTA rules prohibit a transit country (India) from stopping consignments from an exporting country (Bhutan) to an importing country (Bangladesh).“Trucks from Gelephu in Bhutan regularly carry stone chips to Bangladesh via Dalu (Meghalaya-Bangladesh border). The goods and documents are sealed before the trucks enter Assam and, as per SAFTA rules, are to be opened at the destination after covering a distance of 321 km through Assam and Meghalaya. But the seizure and fines in Assam have put us in a spot,” he said.Mr. Raften said that scores of trucks had been stranded at Rakhaldubi in Assam for a week because of a damaged bridge at Tikrikilla in Meghalaya. The trucks were allowed to travel on Thursday night via a bypass but the last 40-odd trucks in the convoy ran into the police and motor vehicle inspectors.Subodh K. Sonowal, Bongaigaon district’s Superintendent of Police, said the police too had found the trucks overloaded. The new rules prescribe a fine of ₹20,000 for overloading and an additional ₹2,000 per extra tonne, as against ₹2,000 and ₹1,000 earlier. “The police did not confiscate the trucks. But the district transport office had some issues with them,” he said.last_img read more

Siril, Arundhati enter second round at Russia Open

first_imgVladivostok (Russia), Oct 5 (PTI) Indian shuttlers Siril Verma and Arundhati Pantawane reached the second round of the Russian Grand Prix after notching up straight-game wins in the mens and womens singles competition respectively here today. Siril defeated Russias Andrey Jdanov 21-7 21-11 and will face third seed Misha Zilberman of Israel in the next round at Sport Hall Olympic here. 2011 National Games champion, Arundhati spanked Russias Anastasiia Sharapova 21-5 21-9 and will take on compatriot Ruthvika Shivani Gadde, seeded fourth. Sourabh Varma, who had twisted his ankle at Poland Open, gave a walkover to Alexej Zolotuev. PTI ATK AH ATKlast_img read more

Asian Games 2018: India men’s hockey men register its biggest ever victory

first_imgThe Indian Men’s Hockey Team score 26 goals against Hong Kong China in their third game of the Asian Games 2018 which saw 4 players claim hat-tricks and a sublime team effort to achieve the large score-line on 22nd August 2018.The Indian Men’s Hockey Team thrashed Hong Kong China 26-0 in the third game of the 2018 Asian Games in Jakarta to register the biggest-ever margin of victory in the history of the sport.Akashdeep Singh, Rupinder Singh, Lalit Upadhyay and Harmanpreet Singh (4) scored hat-tricks as India eased past their opponents to create history in Jakarta on Tuesday.Manpreet Singh and SV Sunil scored braces while Vivek Prasad, Amit Rohidas, Dilpreet Singh, Surender Kumar, Simranjeet Singh, Chinglensana Singh and Varun Kumar also got into the scoresheet.FT| The Indian Men’s Hockey Team score 26 goals against Hong Kong China in their third game of the @asiangames2018 which saw 4 players claim hat-tricks and a sublime team effort to achieve the large score-line on 22nd August 2018.#IndiaKaGame #AsianGames2018 #INDvHKG pic.twitter.com/UiqYtgzbsqHockey India (@TheHockeyIndia) August 22, 2018With the win, they broke a 86-year-old record in hockey for the best-ever margin of victory.The Indian team bettered their scoreline from the previous match, where they smashed hosts Indonesia 17-0 on Monday. The The 17-0 win was also India’s best record at the Asian Games with their previous best being 12-0 win against Bangladesh in 1982.Dilpreet Singh, Simranjeet Singhand Mandeep Singh scored a hat-trick each, while the other goals came from Rupinder Pal Singh, Akashdeep Singh, SV Sunil, Vivek Sagar Prasad, Harmanpreet Singh, Lalit Upadhyay and Amit Rohidas, even as Indonesia couldn’t come up with a goal.advertisementThe win also overshadows India’s 21-0 win over Kazakhstan on Tuesday.The World No. 9 India showed their quality with their dominant performance against a lowly ranked Kazakh side, scoring 21 goals in the team’s second biggest victory of the Asian Games.last_img read more

a month agoBurnley boss Dyche: Heaton like a family member

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Burnley boss Dyche: Heaton like a family memberby Paul Vegasa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveBurnley boss Sean Dyche says there’s no hard feelings over Tom Heaton’s move to Aston Villa.The move raised a few eyebrows with the 33-year-old ending last season as Burnley’s No.1.His departure saw Bailey Peacock-Farrell drafted in from Leeds to bolster the goalkeeping ranks with Nick Pope playing every minute in the Premier League so far this campaign.“I treat all these players like they’re my own family members, I try and be as good with my guidance as I would be with my own children,” Dyche told the Lancashire Evening Telegraph.“I think it’s important, they become important to you over time, Tom is certainly one of those. I don’t do favourites, apart from Tripps (Kieran Trippier), everybody knows that!“He was my first signing, an important signing, but he’s a top fella on and off the pitch, I like him as a person and professional.“There will always be a business decision here though, every pound is a prisoner, that’s just the way it is.“Behind that, we have got very good goalkeepers. I believe in Nick Pope, quite obviously, I believe in Joe Hart and young Bailey has joined the group and done very well so far.“There is a method to the planning of it, but there often comes a time when a deal gets done here.“With Tom, it worked on every level, and on the one that’s hard to find, an emotional level, because I can shake Tom by the hand, look him in the face, he’s happy, I’m happy, and there’s no thinking on who’s won, everyone has won.” last_img read more

Traffic Advisory HRM

first_img Local Area Office: 902-424-5591 Fax: 902-424-7116 HALIFAX REGIONAL MUNICIPALITY: Highway 102 There will be a 20-minute closure of Highway 102 (Bicentennial Highway) between 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. today, Aug. 19, for blasting at the Larry Uteck Interchange. Drivers should expect delays or use alternate routes, which will be indicated by electronic signs. -30-last_img

Only 8 of Ggn residents use recycled water

first_imgGurugram: There is only eight per cent of residents in Gurugram that are using recycled water.The official information was disclosed by Gurugram metropolitan development authority (GMDA). Under Central Government’s Jal Shakti initiative now a campaign is going to be now introduced under the watch of Chief Minister for using recycled water and sewage treated water. The Haryana government has set a plan to increase the usage of recycled water in the city so that the dependence on groundwater can be reduced. An initiative of using treated water for water large public parks have already beginning to start in phases. Also Read – Bangla Sahib Gurudwara bans use of all types of plastic itemsHUDA department will keep a record of treated water taken by each builder from its Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) and whether it was sufficient to meet its needs. HUDA and MCG will provide primary and secondary treated sewage water and the builder will have to finally treat it (Tertiary treatment) at the construction site before using it for construction purposes,” said a senior official from Gurugram district administration. To effectively implement the Zero Rainwater Discharge plan approved by the state government this week, the department of town and country planning (DTCP) has decided to ensure that individual houses, group housing complexes, and commercial buildings in private colonies have a functional rainwater harvesting system as per rules. Also Read – After eight years, businessman arrested for kidnap & murderOccupancy certificates of properties that violate the rules prescribed for rainwater harvesting will be cancelled, said KM Pandurang, director, DTCP. Teams from the DTCP will start inspecting rainwater harvesting facilities in various residential and commercial complexes across the city. There are over 125 pits that come under the Municipal Corporation of Gurugram. However, lack of proper maintenance and inability to check encroachments have ensured that these pits have not been of any utility. Last year with the aid of a private organisation the municipal body had started the process of cleaning the pits. However, in the later months, this exercise gradually fizzled out. The district administration had also directed various private schools that have a large area to create water harvesting pits. However, this action was also not followed up. According to data obtained from the agricultural department’s groundwater cell, from 2014 to 2018, the groundwater table fell by 2.5 metres in Gurugram district and by 3 metres in Gurugram city.last_img read more

SC cancels Amrapali groups registration and leases directs NBCC to complete its

first_imgNew Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday cancelled the registration of the Amrapali group and appointed the state-run National Buildings Construction Corporation (NBCC) to complete all its pending projects, bringing great relief to thousands of home buyers who had invested their money with it. A bench of Justices Arun Mishra and U U Lalit also cancelled the leases of Amrapali’s properties granted by the Noida and Greater Noida authorities and directed the Enforcement Directorate to investigate alleged money laundering by CMD Anil Sharma and other directors and senior officials of the group. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c details The bench appointed senior advocate R Venkataramani as the court receiver. All rights of Amrapali properties will be vested with him after the cancellation of lease. The top court said Venkataramani will have the power to enter into any tri-party agreement for sale of the group’s properties to recover dues. The bench, which cancelled the group’s registration under the Real Estate Regulatory Authority, said the home buyers’ money was diverted in violation of the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA) and foreign direct investment (FDI) norms. Also Read – Tourists to be allowed in J&K from Thursday The court added that the Noida and Greater Noida authorities colluded with the realty group in allowing diversion of the home buyers’ money and not acting in accordance with the law. It said Noida and Greater Noida have no right to sell the properties of the Amrapali group to recover their dues. In a relief to over 42,000 hassled home buyers, the court also directed Noida and Greater Noida to give completion certificates to flat buyers already residing in various projects of the group. It further asked the Centre and the state governments to take appropriate action against the builders who have not delivered the group projects on time. On May 10, the apex court reserved the verdict in the matter after Noida and Greater Noida authorities said they don’t have the resources and expertise to construct stalled projects of the group. Both authorities had favoured handing over the properties to a reputed builder under the supervision of a high powered committee. The authorities expressed their inability to take action like cancellation of lease agreements against the group, which regularly defaulted on payments, due to “bulk of home buyers” and “political weight”. Both the authorities told the apex court that they have outstanding of around Rs 5,000 crore from Amrapali towards the principal amount and interest component, besides the penal interest. The top court on May 8 said it may give ownership rights of all the 15 prime residential properties of Amrapali to Noida and Greater Noida Authorities as it has failed to fulfil its obligations towards 42,000 home buyers. The court had asked the Noida authority to explain what action it has taken against the Amrapali group which was a “chronic defaulter” in payment of lease amount. Officials of the Noida authority said they have seven projects of Amrapali under their jurisdiction. Of an outstanding amount of nearly Rs 2,000 crore, they had received only Rs 505 crore. A similar stand was taken by the Greater Noida authority, which said the Amrapali group has five projects under its jurisdiction. Of these, four are vacant lands and no construction has taken place. The Greater Noida authority said Amrapali has an outstanding of around Rs 3,400 crore and has paid only Rs 363 crore till now. The court appointed forensic auditors — Pawan Aggarwal and Ravinder Bhatia — have found wide scale irregularities in the financial affairs of Amrapali Group and their initial report has suggested that over Rs 3,000 crore of home buyers money. On February 28, the apex court allowed Delhi Police to arrest Sharma and two directors on a complaint that home-buyers of their various housing projects were cheated and duped of their funds. The top court, which is seized of several pleas of home-buyers seeking possession of around 42,000 flats booked in projects of the realty group, also ordered that the personal properties of the CMD and its directors Shiv Priya and Ajay Kumar be attached.last_img read more

Indigenous consultations on TMX pipeline on schedule Natural Resources minister

first_imgCALGARY, A.B. – Natural Resources Minister Amarjeet Sohi says consultations with Indigenous groups about the stalled Trans Mountain pipeline expansion are progressing well and he still expects to wrap up the court-ordered process by May.On a conference call from Houston, where he’s attending the CERAWeek energy conference, Sohi told reporters his department has now met with more than 100 of the 117 Indigenous communities expected to be impacted by the project.The Federal Appeal Court last summer overturned approval of the project to triple oil shipments from Edmonton to the West Coast, ruling that the NEB had not properly considered its impact on marine life nor had Ottawa meaningfully consulted with Indigenous groups. Last month, the National Energy Board found that the pipeline is still in the public interest despite the risk that an increase in tanker traffic could adversely affect southern resident killer whales, hurt related Indigenous culture and increase greenhouse gas emissions.It added 16 new recommendations for federal government action in addition to the 156 conditions in its initial approval in 2016.Sohi says the recommendations, which the NEB said are not within its power to order, are already being studied by his department and will be considered in the government’s decision on TMX when consultations are complete.“The NEB report informs our ongoing consultations and those recommendations will be discussed once the cabinet is ready to make the final decision,” he said.Cabinet is under immense pressure to decide the fate of the pipeline before the federal election in the fall.There is also pressure to get the expansion built because Ottawa bought the existing pipeline from Kinder Morgan for $4.5 billion last August, after political opposition to the expansion left the company’s shareholders reluctant to proceed.last_img read more

Ban pays tribute to late womens rights champion Helvi Sipilä

“Ms. Sipilä powerfully demonstrated the effectiveness of women’s leadership,” Mr. Ban said in a statement issued by his spokesperson. “She has left a legacy which serves as a reminder that no effort should be spared to ensure the equal participation of women in decision-making in all areas of life.”The “lifelong champion of the rights of women” served as Secretary-General of the first World Conference on Women in 1975 in Mexico City. She was also the first woman to hold the rank of Assistant Secretary-General at the UN, where she served in different capacities for many years, including as the Chairperson of the Commission on the Status of Women.Ms. Sipilä remained active after retiring from the UN and was the first woman to run for president in Finland in 1982. 20 May 2009Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today paid tribute to Helvi Sipilä of Finland, a renowned women’s rights advocate and former United Nations official, who passed away on 15 May at the age of 94. read more