While the Cowboys got the result courtesy of a late sideline conversion from Johnathan Thurston, the Tigers controlled most of the game despite missing several key players.Taylor said his side would take plenty of positives away after competing well with the full-strength Cowboys team. “They made some mistakes and I think they would be pretty disappointed because they let the pressure off us a few times with some simple errors,” Taylor said.”I was really happy with how we defended when they attacked our line and I think we forced a few of those errors as well.” Star fullback James Tedesco showed no ill effects since breaking his jaw at the same ground last year and looked sharp at the back with some dangerous carries throughout his 60-minute stint on the field. “I thought he did well, he looked dangerous right from the start of the game and he worked hard for the time he was out there,” Taylor said. “We got him off in the middle of the second half which was the plan.”There were no injury concerns to come out of the match for the Tigers, however a number of players are still racing the clock to be fit for the opening round of the season against South Sydney. “There’s a hamstring injury with Brooksy (Luke Brooks) and we wouldn’t push him if he wasn’t 100 per cent and it wasn’t today. He’s back training and heading in the right direction.” “Mitch (Moses) has got a sore foot which is only bone bruising and in the end it is something we can push so he’ll just have to toughen up to get through it.”Cronulla recruit Matt McIllwrick did his chances of a club debut no harm with a solid showing in the No.9 jersey, as Matt Ballin (knee) and Jacob Liddle (shoulder) sat on the sidelines through injury. “Matty was really good. We were looking for a strong performance from him, he tackled well and carried the ball well out of dummy half so that’s good for him to get ready for Round 1.”
Oates is being treated with antibiotics having complained of pain in his hips and lower body before his withdrawal from the Storm clash in Brisbane.”He’s doing well and taking it day-by-day with his treatment. The pain is under control now and it is a relief that we know what the problem is,” Broncos chief executive Paul White said in a statement. Photo by: NRL Photos.Brisbane winger Corey Oates.
Criminal Court ‘A,’ Monday, June 30, handed down a 17-year prison sentence to a private security guard convicted of killing his boss lady, Antoinette Nettie Peters.Convicted Jefferson Dahn, 24, was sentenced, after Judge Blamo Dixon confirmed and affirmed the jury’s unanimous guilty verdict brought against him, on June 23, 2014.Delivering the Court’s final judgment, Judge Dixon declared that the main issue before the court was whether or not Dahn committed the crime of murder.“In the minds of the court yes, he committed the crime of murder.”Also, supporting his decision, Judge Dixon explained that “during his testimony, defendant Dahn admitted that he was arrested on the crime scene with the dead body in the compound of the UNMIL’s Ugandan Staff, Bonfree Adelee’s 12th Street residence.“Dahn also presented to the joint security the knife used to murder the victim,” the Criminal Court Judge added.He concluded by saying, “The unanimous guilty verdict of the jury is hereby confirmed and affirmed. The defendant is also sentenced to 17 years in prison with a hard labor.”Following Judge Dixon’s final judgment, the defense team who represented the defendant throughout the trial quickly took exception of Judge Blamo’s sentenced and the conviction.They also announced an appeal to the Supreme Court of Liberia.Before Monday’s ruling, Judge Dixon denied an appeal from the defense team, praying for a new trial. In their complaint, the lawyers alleged that Judge Dixon’s charge informing the jurors’ legal facts leading to handing down a verdict influenced the jury’s decision.They quoted Judge Dixon’s instruction to the jury as saying; “You don’t need to be a law school graduate to know the facts in this case. The facts were clearly implicating the defendant to the crime of murder. I don’t think you people will stay long in bringing a verdict. But, I leave it with you people. If you want to set the defendant free, all is left with you. I am going to wash my hands from any decision that would exonerate the defendant of the commission of the crime murder.”The government in March 2014 indicted defendant Jefferson Dahn of murdering his boss, Bonfree Adelee’s fiancée, Antoinette Peters, at his 12th Street, Sinkor compound on January 3, 2013.When the indictment was read to him in open court, Dahn denied. This compelled the government prosecutors to prove their case against the defendant.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
– report cites unilateral appointments, ordering payment of phantom employeesForensic auditors who examined the books of the Guyana Gold Board (GGB) have concluded that formerFormer Natural Resources and Environment Minister Robert PersaudNatural Resources and Environment Minister Robert Persaud, on several occasions, acted contrary to the powers vested in him.The Gold Board Act vests in the Minister the power to give directions of a general or special character as to the policy to be followed by the Board and also requires the Minister to approve the appointment of, and the remuneration payable to, the General Manager, Secretary and such other officers and other employees.However, the 114-page report from the audit conducted by Chartered Accounting Firm Ram and McRae said Persaud was guilty of several breaches, including, on many occasions, acting contrary to the Act.Among those breaches, the auditors highlighted, was the appointment of Senior Policy Analyst/Adviser in the Ministry, Bobby Gossai, as Secretary to the Guyana Gold Board, which is contrary to the powers vested in the Minister.“In our opinion, the Act does not give the Minister the power to name or nominate the Secretary to the Board and the Minister’s action amounted to a usurpation of the Board’s authority,” the auditors said in the report.Unjustified expensesThe auditors added that included in the expenses paid by the Guyana Gold Board were payments made on behalf of the Natural Resources and the Environment Ministry, totalling $63.1 million for the period January 1, 2012 to May 31, 2015.Included in the above amount are mainly payments for salaries, gratuity, leave passage allowances and entertainment expenses.“The payments are clearly a means of circumventing the Appropriation Act and action should be taken against those responsible for the payments. However, the Directors of the Gold Board cannot escape culpability for the payments which were not proper expenses of the Board. It should be noted that the Guyana Gold Board has not been reimbursed for any payments made on behalf of the Ministry,” the report stated.It added that the employment contracts of several individuals engaged to undertake duties at the Ministry were entered in to between the Guyana Gold Board and those persons.“The Board should terminate all current contracts for employees of the Ministry and have the Ministry issue such contracts directly,” it recommended.The auditors said that the then Minister and his Ministry may have misinterpreted the Gold Board Act and have, on occasion, given instructions to management on operational issues, including matters relating to contracts.It singled out one occasion when Persaud advised the Gold Board through Gossai that the termination package of the General Manager, Anantram Balram, who resigned on November 4, 2014, could not be negotiated by the Board.Gossai, the report said, stated that the Board has to fulfil the mandate of Cabinet.“He also voiced his disapproval in bringing back the General Manager for a week to “save face” and stated that this suggestion should be turned down,” the audit report stated.Improper conductThe auditors said that there was evidence which showed that Gossai forged the signature of the Board Chairman, Dr Gobind Ganga, which allowed the then General Manager to proceed on his remaining annual leave for 2014.“Acting on information provided to us, we confirmed that the signature of the Board Chairman was lifted from another document. This is a gross act of forgery that should be pursued by the appropriate authorities,” it stated.Meanwhile, this newspaper’s efforts to contact the former Natural Resources and Environment Minister for a comment or response to the allegations proved futile.
Map: This map shows the location of the possible EnCana facilityEnCana Corp. could build a multimillion dollar gas plant north of Fort Nelson.- Advertisement -An application submitted to the Provincial Government last year outlines the plan for facility that could cost $400 million in it’s first phase. The plant would process gas from the Horn River Basin and would have an initial processing capacity of 400 million cubic feet per day. The project could become a six stage project, but that all depends on future production from the Horn River Basin. The more production is planed for the area, more the plant could be expanded. The application was submitted in November and the BC Government recently announced the project would need an environmental assessment before moving ahead. A group of 8 companies, including EnCana are behind the project. If the facility gets approval it could create 600 jobs with construction possibly starting in March of 2010. It’s then hoped the facility would be up and running by 2011. Advertisement EnCana estimates production from the basin could eventually hit one billion cubic feet of gas a day, which is the equivalent to about 170,000 barrels of oil.Click the attached file below to read the entire report EnCana submitted to the BC Government.
The Department of Finance, meanwhile, says in its most recent bulletin that “economic indicators were disappointing in July, a reflection of the worsening of the housing sector downturn. Payroll employment dropped, the state’s unemployment rate rose slightly, existing home sales slowed, and residential construction remained sluggish.” So there we have it – a slowdown of uncertain dimensions but stopping short of a genuine recession, coupled with what Watkins calls “a ton of uncertainty.” And not surprisingly it’s filtering into voters’ consciousnesses, as a recent poll by the Public Policy Institute of California indicates. “A dark mood is settling over the Golden State as pessimism about California’s economic conditions hits its highest point since 2003,” the institute says in its analysis. “Housing woes and the spectacle of this summer’s budget battle are taking their toll on residents’ economic outlook – and affecting everything from trust in government to approval ratings of state and federal leaders.” The slowdown and the public’s darkening mood about it have potentially major effects on political policy. Even a modest slump could have devastating effects on a state budget that’s already running big deficits, and voters may be less likely to approve the financial issues that Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and lawmakers want to place on next year’s ballot – including taxes for expanding health care and perhaps education and water and other infrastructure bonds. Dan Walters is a columnist for The Sacramento Bee. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! When the end of the Cold War reduced defense spending in the early 1990s, Southern California’s aerospace industry, which had profited handsomely from the nearly half-century-long arms race, was hit hard, with hundreds of thousands of high-paying jobs evaporating. A decade later, the dot-com bubble burst and once again it was California, especially the San Francisco Bay Area, that took the brunt as countless technology firms went under and billions in paper wealth vaporized. Bill Watkins, who runs the University of California, Santa Barbara, Economic Forecast Project, puts it this way: “California is always on the bleeding edge.” He and other economists are now wondering whether the implosion of the housing industry, another economic tsunami in California, will have a similar impact. Three-fourths of the nation’s foreclosure actions filed by lenders in August were in California, and the state has accounted for 40 percent of the nation’s decline in home sales since 2005. California, moreover, is the home of big-scale lenders, such as Countrywide, whose subprime mortgages have backfired. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas CityThat said, other segments of the economy are still ticking along fairly well, albeit with a slump in retail sales attributed to the decline of housing-related purchases and a sense of foreboding among consumers that dampens their appetite for cars and other goods. “California is doing both better and worse than the United States,” says the Santa Barbara forecast, released last week. “The state is bearing far more of its share of the slowdown in residential real estate. At the same time, California’s economic growth has recently exceeded that of the United States.” The Santa Barbara analysis is similar in tone to those of other economic authorities, such as UCLA’s Anderson Forecast and the California Department of Finance. UCLA economist Ryan Ratcliff said, “California is in for at least another year of economic doldrums, with rising unemployment, weak job growth and a slowdown in all broad indicators.” However, Ratcliff added, “Without the emergence of a second source of weakness in the economy or a significant worsening of the real estate sector beyond what’s already being forecast, California will not sink into a recession.”
CELTIC can win the SPL title on Sunday afternoon in the Old Firm clash at Ibrox.Victory over Rangers will secure the league title after nearest challengers Motherwell lost at Kilmarnock on Saturday.Strathclyde police have spoken to both teams to appeal for calm ahead of the match which kicks off at 1pm. Celtic manager Neil Lennon insists his team “won’t be there to gloat” should they beat Rangers at Ibrox.“The last thing we want to do is rub it in people’s faces. We will be respectful of everyone at the stadium,” said Lennon.Celtic last won the league title at Ibrox in 1967. CELTIC CAN WIN TITLE AT IBROX AFTER MOTHERWELL LOSE was last modified: March 25th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:CELTIC CAN WIN TITLE AT IBROX AFTER MOTHERWELL LOSE
Four Masters G.A.A. ClubThe first draw of the 2012/2013 Annual Lotto starting with a jackpot of €1,100 will take place next Monday July16th. New members are welcome with entry forms are available from Sean Dunnion (087) 2300735, Maeve Espey (086) 8730610 and Paul Timoney (087) 2791305 or play online at www.fourmasters.donegal.gaa.ieTicket orders for the Ulster Senior Football Championship Final should be placed with Sean Dunnion (087) 2300735 or Paul Timoney (087) 2791305 not later than 12.00 noon this Thursday July 12th. Club Members and all Donegal Supporters locally are requested to support the County Team Training Fund Draw that was launched recently. Tickets are now on sale @ €5.00 per ticket or 3 for €10.00 from committee members. The Club will be holding a Bucket Collection on behalf of CLG Dhun na nGall on Saturday July 21st in the Diamond. This collection which is being held county-wide on the day before the Ulster Final will help finance the completion of the development of the Centre of Excellence in Convoy so please give generously. The Kellogg’s GAA Cul Camps will be hosted by the Club in Tir Conaill Park with the football being a 5-day camp from Monday July 23rd to Friday July 27th and the Hurling & Camogie a 3-day camp from Tuesday August 7th to Thursday August 9th for boys and girls aged 6 – 13 years. Discount available for families with more than one child attending. Discount also available for children wishing to attend both camps. For further information please contact: John Joe O’ Shea (087) 7959924, Noel Ward (087) 8251408, Deborah Dunnion (087) 9860192 or any Bord na nOg underage team manager. You can register or get more information atwww.kelloggsculcamps.gaa.ie GAA: FOUR MASTERS GAA CLUB NEWS was last modified: July 10th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAA: FOUR MASTERS GAA CLUB NEWS
IT might be eight days into the New Year but Kilcar are the 2015 U21 county champions.They defeated reigning champions St Eunan’s by two points at Mac Cumhaill Park tonight.Kilcar won 0-13 to 1-08 in a tight contest. They had led by two at the break 0-07 to 0-05, a super save from Niall O’Donnell just before the break ensuring Kilcar kept the lead.Kilcar pushed on after the break but a Darragh McWalters goal brought St Eunan’s back into it.However John McNulty’s side hit more scores through Matthew McClean and Conor Doherty to lead by three.A late Eunan’s point from a free was merely a consolation. Apparently there’s a party in Kilcar tonight. KILCAR CROWNED NEW U21 COUNTY CHAMPIONS (2015!) was last modified: January 8th, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
Donegal is to escape the worst of Ireland’s freezing conditions.Although there have been some flurries of light snow across the county earlier, we will escape the worst according to Met Eireann.Up to 6cms of snow is forecast to fall across the east coast tonight including counties Dublin, Meath and Kildare. However the forecast for Donegal up until this weekend continues to be freezing conditions but very little snow.Temperatures are set to continue to plunge below freezing overnight.The daytime temperatures across the county are not expected to get above a chilly 3 degrees.Coal and oil distributors have reported an increase in sales despite the time of year because of the plunge in temperatures. People have been asked to call in on elderly neighbours to ensure that they have adequate supplies and heat during this cold snap. FREEZE TO CONTINUE BUT DONEGAL TO ESCAPE ANY HEAVY SNOWFALL was last modified: March 27th, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalelderlysnow