Rhine Tabbed MVC Women’s Basketball Player of the Week For Third Time

first_imgRhine and her teammates visit UNI Friday, Feb. 16 with tipoff with the Panthers set for 7 p.m. The in-state rivalry game is the MVC’s Game of the Week on ESPN3. Print Friendly Version ST. LOUIS – Redshirt sophomore Sara Rhine (Eldon, Mo.) of the Drake University women’s basketball team has been named the Missouri Valley Conference Player of the Week for the third time this season, the MVC office announced Monday, Feb. 12 afternoon. This season, Rhine is averaging 15.8 points and 6.4 rebounds per game, which ranks second and tied for fifth, respectively, in the MVC. She leads the MVC in field goal percentage at 57.5 percent. She was previously named MVC Player of the Week on Dec. 4 and Jan. 15. Rhine has been named MVC Scholar-Athlete of the Week four times this season.center_img Coming off the bench, Rhine averaged 17.5 points and 7.5 rebounds while shooting 73.9 percent (14-of-19) from the floor, including making 3-of-4 (75.0 percent) from behind the arc to help Drake win at Evansville and Indiana State. She started the weekend against Evansville with a game-high 19 points on a 7-of-8 shooting night to go with four rebounds and one block in just 16 minutes. Rhine followed that performance against the Sycamores with her fifth double-double this year with 16 points and 11 rebounds. She made 7-of-11 shots, added one block and nabbed one steal in 20 minutes.last_img read more

Mokale Koapeng: music chose me

first_img21 January 2011 Humility is not a trait one normally associates with world-renowned musicians. For Mokale Koapeng, it seems to come naturally. Either that, or the conductor, director, lecturer and composer just doesn’t have the time to fit it into his schedule. Not only does Koapeng lecture at Wits University, he is also the first composer-in-residence of the Johannesburg International Mozart Festival, among all his other projects. Born in Orlando West, in Soweto in 1963, he was exposed to music at a young age. His father was a chorister and gave all seven of his children the opportunity to study music. Koapeng was the only one of them who asked to learn music, though, and he began by asking to be taught how to play the piano. “I took the initiative, but I was in a musical environment,” he says. His favourite quote is by Leonard Bernstein, the famous American composer and conductor: “I didn’t choose music, music chose me.” It sums up his attitude to what has become a successful career. “I feel like I was destined to be involved in music,” Koapeng says. “I find playing music to be an outlet for expressing my thoughts, emotions and state at any given time. But I also find listening to it soothing and good for redirecting my energy.” However, he is quick to point out that there is a big difference between good and bad music, describing bad music as “something that the creator didn’t put much effort into”. Koapeng has worked with a wide variety of national and international musicians and groups, including Sibongile Khumalo, Hugh Masekela and British vocal group I Fagiolini. He has also composed music for the National Symphony Orchestra; University of Pretoria Chorale; Musicatreize, the French instrumental and vocal ensemble; the Sontonga String Quartet; and the Unisa Foundation Youth Orchestra.Collaboration He considers I Fagiolini his favourite collaboration. “It was the first association that put South African indigenous music and Western music on a par. It was wonderful working with a group specialising in Western music that embraced indigenous music, so much so that they started commissioning pieces after the collaboration was over.” And if he had to select one thing to be remembered by, it would be this partnership and the resulting work, the internationally successful CD, Simunye. Another career highlight was composing and conducting the world premiere of Cantus in Memoria ’76 at the National Arts Festival in Grahamstown to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Soweto Uprising of 16 June 1976. “The issues around 1976 are emotional for all South Africans, but blacks in particular. Because I was there at the time, when it was commissioned, it was not just an academic exercise or artistic enterprise,” he says. “I had flashbacks of running from the cops and being in Uncle Tom’s Hall in Orlando West, hearing gunshots and realising the struggle was a matter of life and death. “I just hope that the music did justice to the poetry of what happened that day.” The challenge of making his compositions accessible is one that Koapeng regards philosophically. He has found that people not involved in music have embraced his work more than musicians because “musicians have to discard their own emotional baggage before they can enjoy the songs”.Composer “It is not a popularity contest, though. It is my artistic expression on a journey to discover new things.” This, he hopes, stems from his admiration for Mozart. To him, the Austrian artist was an innovative composer who always looked to discover the new and unexplored. This similarity may have contributed to his appointment as the first composer-in-residence of the JIMF, though he certainly does not see it this way. “I don’t subscribe to being a ‘first’ for anything; it’s an accident of history,” he says of his appointment. “There is nothing unique about me being the one chosen. It’s more a possibility of being in the right place at the right time.” He is looking forward to what opportunities may come from this role, which already include “new things tried in the commissioned work [Dipesalema tsa Dafita]”. This piece will have its world premiere on 27 January at the Linder Auditorium, as part of the opening ceremony of the Johannesburg International Mozart Festival (JIMF). The festival will run until 13 February at the auditorium at Wits’ Education Campus in Parktown. He says his role as composer-in-residence will be a challenge he will enjoy, but which he will happily pass on next year as he has “no intention of being the Mugabe or Gbagbo of the JIMF”. The multi-tasking musician does not make music for recognition, but rather focuses on what he considers to be his lifelong project: “to be a good teacher, composer and human being. I am a project on my own, trying to get myself right as a father, neighbour and artist.” Source: City of Johannesburglast_img read more

Amid E-Book Growth, Students Still Prefer Paper Textbooks

first_imgWhy Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… curt hopkins Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Related Posts Students love a bargain. Survey respondents said they often buy previous editions of a textbook (16% did this for their current class ) or international versions (18% did this at least once).Piracy is pervasive. More than 40% of survey respondents said they bought a textbook from a pirate website, or know others who have. In addition, many respondents reported copying their friends’ textbooks. Some learning tools have high value. Print study guides, Campus Learning Management Systems — such as Blackboard and WebCT — and diagnostic self-tests held high value for survey respondents.Some learning tools have low value. Online tutoring, audio study guides and “clickers” used in the classroom by instructors held low value for survey respondents.The 12% who did favor e-textbooks — “mostly males, and often MBA-seeking or distance learners” — said they valued the “lower cost, convenience and portability.”Textbook photo by Nina Scaletti | other sources: ResourceBlog A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Tags:#E-Books#E-Learning#web 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Over the past half-year, we have written extensively about e-books and e-readers. We’ve discussed the merits of e-books over paper books. We’ve covered Kindle e-books outselling hardcover best-sellers and their strength over the holiday season. We’ve even included the growth of e-readers and e-books in one of our Top Trends of 2010 posts. But, as ReadWriteWeb editor Richard MacManus discussed in “5 Ways that Paper Books are Better than E-Books,” everything from price to packaging to, most importantly, the feel of physical books may keep them on the shelves for a long time to come. Now, in a study called “Student Attitudes Toward Content in Higher Education,” another round in the debate has been settled on the side of paper. 75% of student preferred old-fashioned, paper-and-board textbooks over electronic versions.The surveying entity, the Book Industry Study Group, announced the results yesterday. The 75% who preferred paper textbooks cited “a fondness for print’s look and feel, as well as its permanence and ability to be resold.” Additional findings:last_img read more

Belships Returns to Profit Expands Fleet

first_imgzoom Oslo-based bulk ship operator Belships returned to black during the twelve months ended December 31, 2017.The company said that its net result for the period reached USD 6.4 million, against USD ‐14.6 million reported in 2016 which was affected by impairment of the fleet of USD 13.8 million. Impairment reversal in 2017 amounted to USD 2.5 million.Operating income during the year increased to USD 27.3 million from USD 25.4 million seen in 2016.Belships’ net result for the fourth quarter of 2017 was USD 3.2 million, up from USD 1.7 million reported a year earlier, while its operating income reached USD 7.6 million, compared to USD 6.6 million in the fourth quarter of 2016. The figure for fourth quarter includes impairment reversal of USD 2 million.Following year end, the company expanded its fleet as it took delivery of M/S Belnippon on January 24, 2018. The ship, which was delivered by Imabari Shipbuilding, has been fixed on time charter to Cargill for 10‐13 months at USD 11,500/day.The company operates six Supramax/Ultramax vessels, of which M/S Belstar, M/S Belnor and M/S Belisland have continued the long‐term contracts to Canpotex of Canada, while M/S Belforest and M/S Belocean are both on time charter to Cargill.Belships has one 63,000 dwt eco‐design Ultramax bulk carrier remaining on order with Imabari Shipbuilding. The newbuilding has a long‐term time charter agreement including purchase option for delivery within the first half of 2020.Belships’ vessels are fully covered until October 2018 when M/S Belocean becomes open, followed by M/S Belforest in November and M/S Belnippon in January 2019.The company said that it is well positioned for a dry bulk market that “we believe will be strengthening in 2018‐19.”last_img read more

Bangladesh India set a model of neighbourhood relations Envoy

first_imgNew Delhi: Bangladesh has emerged as one of the world’s fastest growing economies thanks to the dynamic leadership of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, the country’s high commissioner to India Syed Muazzem Ali said on Thursday.He was speaking at IIMT Engineering College in Meerut at a function attended by about 800 students from different bachelor’s courses, besides officials and teachers of the prestigious institution. Syed Muazzem said Bangladesh today is one of the fastest growing economies of the world with a record 7.86 per cent GDP growth last year, and 8.13 per cent so far this fiscal year. He said India too is fast emerging as a global economic power with strong growth coupled with scientific and technological achievements. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’The successes of both the neighbors offer each other opportunities to further deepen their economic relations, the envoy said in his speech on “India-Bangladesh Relations.” He said the neighborhood relations are so strong that Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has recently suggested making joint efforts to showcase this model of relations to the world, in the form of research and study at the University level, in the form of thesis, PhD for a PhD degree. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&K”Indeed, the relations have reached to an exceptional level and the “best ever” one, under the dynamic leadership of our two Prime Ministers Sheikh Hasina and Narendra Modi. It has gone beyond the strategic partnership level and now encompasses all aspects of our bilateral cooperation,” the envoy said amid applauses from the audience. To further the excellent bilateral cooperation Dhaka and New Delhi are now focusing particularly on three key areas: trade and investment, connectivity and energy. The session witnessed a lively interaction during which the students wanted to know from the veteran freedom fighter diplomat various aspects of Indo-Bangla relations, the regional cooperation and the way forward for the South Asian nations.last_img read more

Police drop privacybreach case against Halifax teenNo grounds to lay charges

first_imgHALIFAX – Police have dropped the case against a young Halifax man alleged to have breached a Nova Scotia freedom-of-information website, shifting the issue squarely back to whether the province had basic measures in place to protect its citizens’ private information.In a news release, Halifax police say that after a thorough investigation, “the police have determined there to be no grounds to lay charges in the matter.”The young man’s lawyer, David Fraser, had said repeatedly that the youth — who was arrested after a dramatic raid on his family’s home — had no malicious intent when he downloaded 7,000 documents from the public site.The 19-year-old was collecting information about a teachers’ labour dispute, and hadn’t realized the site didn’t protect other information from a simple download program, Fraser said.“Even though anybody who has looked at it has said these charges would never succeed, there’s always going to be some anxiety associated with it. So, to have this resolution, it’s just a relief,” he said Monday.Personal information ranging from social insurance numbers to documents meant only for the eyes of the applicants were accessed, according to the province.Fraser said the case has “raised awareness about how the government secures information.”NDP house leader Dave Wilson said the onus is now on the government to take responsibility for what happened.Wilson pointed to previous warnings from the province’s auditor general about potential security problems with the website.“Obviously enough wasn’t done to fix those problems and I think the government, the premier, the minister need to take full responsibility for this,” said Wilson.“Definitely I think the government at a minimum should owe this young gentleman an apology,” said Wilson. “They need to take ownership of this.”Police arrested the man on April 11 and said they gave him notice to appear under a rarely used section of the Criminal Code that prohibits unauthorized use of a computer with fraudulent intent.However, in Monday’s news release, Supt. Jim Perrin, said, “as the investigation evolved, we have determined that the 19-year-old who was arrested on April 11 did not have intent to commit a criminal offence by accessing the information.”The family and the youth have said the search with 15 officers left their home in disarray and the 19-year-old deeply distressed over the prospect of potential charges, said Fraser.Police have said any complaints about the search could go through a complaints process, but Fraser said it was too early to comment on whether the family intended to explore that avenue.“Whether the police acted proportionately and appropriately depends on what they were told by the province, and we don’t have insight into that yet,” he said.His client was not immediately available for comment.Perrin said in an interview Monday that when the province first told investigators that a large number of files had been taken, “there was a level of seriousness around the allegation, and our officers did a thorough investigation.”“As you can appreciate it’s more complex when executing a search at a residence than one officer knocking at the door,” he said.“We were looking for computer evidence, possible documentation evidence and there are a lot of places in a residence where these things can be kept.”In a statement, Internal Services Minister Patricia Arab said the government respects the police decision.“We will continue to offer supports for those affected by this breach. Our priority from the outset has been containing the data,” she said in the statement.“As we go forward, we will co-operate fully with the investigation of the Nova Scotia Auditor General and the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner.”Karla MacFarlane, interim leader of the Progressive Conservatives, reiterated her party’s call for Arab to resign over the lack of oversight for the province’s web services.MacFarlane also called on Premier Stephen McNeil to apologize to the 19-year-old.“Right from the very beginning, they threw this young man under the bus in my opinion, and without knowing the facts,” she said.McNeil initially referred to the young man’s actions as “stealing,” but has since backed away from this strong language.Fraser said, “I disagree with that conclusion vehemently, but I don’t know what he was told. So much of this is unknown.”A number of experts on internet law have raised concerns about the arrest, saying if it had led to charges then groups ranging from journalists to archivists could face similar prosecutions for searching public websites without proper security measures in place.last_img read more