no objection Gayle told The Gleaner that himself and Blake had lengthy discussions with the three athletes and were convinced that they were not being coerced into making the move. It is expected that the trio, who are members of the Stephen Francis-led MVP Track Club will continue to train in Jamaica. Under the IAAF rule 5.4, athletes are allowed to compete for another country after sitting out a period of 12 months once there is no objection from their original federation. If there is an objection, the athletes would then need to wait for three years before representing their new country. Williams, who is approaching her 30th birthday, won silver medals in the 400m at the 2008 Olympic Games as well as the 2009 World Championships. She last represented Jamaica in the IAAF World Relays earlier this year. Brown, who on Monday celebrated his 23rd birthday, has a 100m personal best of 9.93 seconds finishing second in the 100m at the World University Games earlier this month. Fisher, also 23, recently joined the sub-10 seconds club running 9.94 seconds in Madrid. All three should be eligible to represent Bahrain at next Summer’s Olympic Games. Bahrain, like Qatar, has been involved in recruiting athletes over the years – particularly Kenyan distance runners. At least 40 athletes have switched allegiances, encouraged by lucrative deals from the oil rich Gulf States. There have been reported cases where athletes, who have switched to these countries have received, in some instances up to US$5,000 a month for life and additional bonuses for records. The ‘transfer’ of Jamaican athletes Shericka Williams, Kemarley Brown and Andrew Fisher to Bahrain is still being processed, but while he isn’t too concerned, Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) boss Dr Warren Blake admits that a trend seems to be developing. He was also quick to point out that the JAAA does not stand to benefit financially from any athlete switching allegiance to another country, as this is prohibited under IAAF regulations. Blake the JAAA president along with general secretary Garth Gayle have both confirmed that the athletes’ requests are being processed after the trio had written to the organisation expressing their desire to represent the Middle East archipelago over a month ago. If confirmed, this will not represent the first time that a Jamaican athlete has renounced their citizenship to represent another country with well known names such as Merlene Ottey (Slovenia) and the US-born quarter-miler Brandon Simpson, who went on to compete for Bahrain as well as Jacques Harvey, who recently committed to Turkey all coming to mind. This will, however, represent the first time that multiple athletes have made a request at once and Blake, while admitting that Jamaica has also benefited from athletes switching allegiance, it could be a developing trend that Jamaican athletes are now considering more seriously to benefit from the financial aspects of transferring allegiances. “Without any evidence to suggest (trend); it’s more of a developing trend as opposed to being a trend,” Blake told The Gleaner. “Athletes have always been switching allegiances and we have also benefited from it up to recently with steeplechaser Aisha Praught, who was born in the US and has decided to represent Jamaica.” It should be noted, however, that Praught was born to a Jamaican father.
This handout photo shows Turkish presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin (R) speaking with US National Security adviser John Bolton following their meeting at the presidential complex in the capital Ankara, on 8 January. Photo: AFPTurkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday condemned comments by a key US envoy over the future of a US-allied Syrian Kurdish militia as a “grave mistake”, as tensions flared over Washington’s planned withdrawal from war-torn Syria.Erdogan’s comments came shortly after US National Security adviser John Bolton held talks in the Turkish capital with Erdogan’s adviser Ibrahim Kalin, in a key meeting focusing on the surprise US decision to withdraw its troops from Syria.But it was comments made by Bolton on Sunday in Israel that had already raised hackles in Ankara, when he suggested the retreat was also conditional on the safety of US-backed Kurdish fighters, considered terrorists by Turkey.”John Bolton has made a grave mistake on this issue,” Erdogan told his party’s lawmakers in parliament.US president Donald Trump caused a political storm last month when he announced the troop pullout, claiming to have succeeded in the battle against the Islamic State (IS) group.Fighting continues however, with Syrian Observatory for Human Rights saying IS suicide attackers had hit the US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces in eastern Syria late on Sunday, killing 23 of its fighters.The pullout, which Washington has since stressed will be gradual, was hailed by Erdogan as the “right call” in a column published Tuesday in the New York Times.But it has also raised concerns that Kurdish fighters would be exposed to the threat of a cross-border operation by their archfoe Turkey.No promisesUS-led coalition forces have provided air power and other support to the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in its operation to flush out IS from the last rump of its now-defunct “caliphate”.As part of this, American forces have worked closely with the Syrian Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) militia, seen by Ankara as a “terrorist offshoot” of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK), which has waged an insurgency against the Turkish state since 1984.That US military support for the YPG has shaken relations between Washington and Ankara.US secretary of state Mike Pompeo drew the wrath of the Turkish leadership last week when he said Washington would ensure “the Turks don’t slaughter the Kurds” in Syria as American troops withdraw.”That Turkey targets the Kurds is the most vile, the most dishonourable, the ugliest and the cheapest slander,” Erdogan said on Tuesday.But the Turkish leader made it clear that Ankara would not soften its stance against the YPG.”Those who are in the terror corridor in Syria will learn necessary lessons,” he said.After meeting Bolton on Tuesday, Kalin also urged Washington to take back all the weapons provided to Syrian Kurdish militia forces.He denied comments by Pompeo that Turkey had promised the US not to attack the Kurdish fighters.”Nobody should expect Turkey to provide assurances to a terror organisation,” he told journalists in Ankara.Bolton’s spokesman Garrett Marquis described the talks as “productive” and centred on “the president’s decision to withdraw at a proper pace from northeast Syria”.Military win ‘first step’When Trump first announced the pullout of 2,000 ground troops on 19 December, Ankara was a lonely voice among NATO allies welcoming the decision.Erdogan has promised Trump that Turkey could finish off the remnants of IS in Syria.”A military victory against the terrorist group is a mere first step,” he said in the New York Times, warning against premature declarations of victory.Nicholas Heras, an analyst at the Center for a New American Security, said Ankara would need so much support from Washington to completely eradicate IS, that it would be “to the point where the US military would essentially still be inside Syria”.Trump on Monday conceded that the fight against IS was not over.”We will be leaving at a proper pace while at the same time continuing to fight ISIS and doing all else that is prudent and necessary!” he tweeted.Last month, Erdogan threatened to launch a cross-border operation against the YPG, east of the Euphrates River, which he said later would be delayed after Trump’s pullout order.Turkish military forces supporting Syrian rebels launched incursions into northern Syria against IS in August 2016 and against the YPG in January 2018.
Investors rallied behind Netflix’s stock last Friday, when shares closed up 9.7% to $297.57 per share, helped by a bullish call from Goldman Sachs. The company’s shares are still well below their over-$400-per-share highs in 2018.Last September, Netflix shares rose after the streamer won 23 Emmy Awards, gaining 4.9% on Sept. 18.On Sunday night, Netflix won three Golden Globes for TV series and earned a best foreign film and a directing award for “Roma,” Cuarón’s black-and-white meditation on his childhood growing up in Mexico City. (“Roma” was ineligible for the top drama prize because the dialogue was virtually entirely in Spanish and Mixteco.)In the TV categories, Netflix’s “Kominsky Method” won the best comedy prize and best actor in a TV comedy for Michael Douglas, while Richard Madden, star of Netflix’s British “Bodyguard” series, won a best actor in a TV drama prize.In his acceptance speech, a stunned Lorre ended his thank-yous by saying “Netflix, Netflix, Netflix” — much to the delight of Netflix content boss Ted Sarandos, who was in the audience.Backstage at the Golden Globes, Cuarón defended Netflix’s model in challenging a journalist’s question about whether streaming services were contributing to the death of independent cinema.Pictured above: Alfonso Cuarón’s “Roma” Popular on Variety UPDATED: Netflix shares jumped 6% Monday, coming on the heels of the company taking home five Golden Globe Awards on Sunday night and another bullish Wall Street analyst call.The streamer took home Globes trophies in major categories for Alfonso Cuarón’s art-house-y film “Roma” and Chuck Lorre’s comedy “The Kominsky Method.”The rise in Netflix’s stock, which closed at $315.34 per share on the day, exceeded a more modest uptick in the broader market. Also Monday, Piper Jaffray analyst Michael Olson issued a report predicting Netflix will beat Wall Street expectations for U.S. streaming-subscriber additions for the fourth quarter of 2018. Olson wrote in a research note that the firm’s model, based on an analysis of Google search trends, points to “directionally positive” domestic growth, “showing a high likelihood of a strong Q4 for Netflix domestic sub adds, with in-line int’l subs.” ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15
Kolkata: The Durgapur Municipal Corporation (DMC) is developing infrastructure for an alternative water distribution system for both domestic and industrial use. The DMC is installing as many as 36 deep tubewells at places where there are overhead reservoirs which will draw water from the ground and store it in the reservoir.”Till date, Damodar river has been the only source of water for the residents of Durgapur. Water from the Damodar river was treated and then supplied through pipeline for both domestic and industrial use. The idea is to be prepared for an alternative if there is any calamity that may disrupt the sully system in the township,” Dilip Kumar Agasty, Mayor of DMC said. The project will entail a cost of Rs 12 crore and the DMC hopes to complete it before the onset of the monsoon season. “The tender process has already been completed and work will start soon,” Agasty said. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flightsThe DMC is also taking up a major project ‘Storm Water Drainage Project’ to prevent waterlogging. It may be mentioned that during last monsoon the underground sewerage system had collapsed completely during the monsoon. In the month of October 2017, there was heavy rain that inundated several areas under the DMC including Tamla, Main Gate, Waria, Mana and Khatpukur. About 2,500 households were affected. The DMC does not want similar situations. “We have done a survey with the assistance of engineers from Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority (KMDA). Our plan is to channelise the rain water through high drain to the small rivers like Tamla and Kumur that flows through the township area. The depth of the high drains also needs to be enhanced for which massive desiltation work needs to be undertaken,” the Mayor said.The work for preparing the DPR has already been initiated. Agasty met state Urban Development & Municipal Affairs minister Firhad Hakim in his chamber at Writers’ Building recently and the latter had assured that funds will not be a problem for projects that are meant to benefit people.