Russell a ‘priority’ for Thunder

first_imgSYDNEY, Australia (CMC):Sydney Thunder are desperate to tie West Indies all-rounder Andre Russell to a new contract before the Big Bash season ends, after the player’s massive impact with the franchise during the current campaign.The 27-year-old, a lively seamer and a devastating lower order batsman, has been one of Thunder’s best players and has also found himself immensely popular with franchise fans. Such has been Russell’s impact that the Thunder’s general manager, Nick Cummins, said they planned to make his contract renewal “priority” as they begin to plan for next season.”Of the guys that are off contract he’s “our priority. We’re already in discussions and we’re hoping to have something done before the season ends,” Cummins said. “He’s definitely a priority, we couldn’t have asked anything more from him.”Russell has delivered for Sydney in style this season. He has a league-leading 13 wickets and had produced a couple of cameos at a strike rate of 181. The Jamaican is also a brilliant fielder, taking three catches.His interaction with Sydney fans has been fantastic and Cummins said the franchise wanted to move quickly to ward off any other attempts by rivals to secure Russell’s services next season.”I’d imagine there’s other teams wanting to recruit Andre. He can do everything with bat, ball and in the field,” Cummins noted.”At the same time he was available to be signed last year and Thunder was the team that saw that and hopefully he sees we were the ones who backed him . . . who stood behind him.”He is one of those players who plays the way we’d all love to and I think the way he goes about his cricket is why he’s so popular. He’s explosive, dynamic and spectacular.”Russell has morphed into a T20 specialist in recent years, campaigning in all the major leagues across the globe.Last year, he played in the Indian Premier League, the Caribbean Premier League, the South African Ram Slam and the Bangladesh Premier League.He is set to play in the inaugural Pakistan Super League next month.last_img read more

McCain fighting cancer resigned to fate

first_imgUS Senator John McCain heads to the Senate floor ahead of votes on Capitol Hill in Washington, US on 6 December 2017. Photo: ReutersUS senator John McCain, the maverick Republican who survived a Vietnam War prison camp and ran unsuccessfully for president, is discontinuing medical treatment for an aggressive form of brain cancer, his family said in a statement on Friday, a year after he announced his diagnosis.”John has surpassed expectations for his survival,” the family said, adding that the disease’s progression and McCain’s age, 81, have led him to stop treatment for the “aggressive glioblastoma.””With his usual strength of will, he has now chosen to discontinue medical treatment,” the family said.McCain, who has represented Arizona in the Senate and House of Representatives for 35 years, has said the cancer was discovered in July 2017 and he has not been at the US Capitol this year. He also had surgery for an intestinal infection in April.McCain has had a reputation for speaking his mind, which led to a running feud with President Donald Trump. Sources close to McCain have said Trump would not be invited to the funeral.The McCain-Trump relationship grew heated in 2015 when McCain said Trump’s candidacy had “fired up the crazies.” Trump retorted that the senator was “not a war hero” and referred to McCain’s years as a prisoner of the North Vietnamese by saying: “I like people who weren’t captured.”McCain castigated Trump last month for his summit with Russian president Vladimir Putin, issuing a statement that called their joint news conference “one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president in memory.” He said Trump was “not only unable but unwilling to stand up to Putin.”McCain sought the Republican presidential nomination in 2000 but lost out to George W. Bush. He secured the nomination in 2008 but was defeated by Democratic nominee Barack Obama.McCain has been known as a conservative and a foreign policy hawk with a traditional Republican view of world affairs. He has had a reputation for a hot temper and rarely shied away from a fight but has had Democratic fans who admired the way he could take a civil, bipartisan approach.McCain is the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee and his colleagues named the $716 billion defense policy bill for him. Trump did not mention McCain when he signed it earlier this month.”Very sad to hear this morning’s update from the family of our dear friend @SenJohnMcCain,” Republican Senate leader Mitch McConnell said on Twitter. “We are so fortunate to call him our friend and colleague. John, Cindy, and the entire McCain family are in our prayers at this incredibly difficult hour.”Former secretary of State John Kerry, a Democrat who served in the Senate with McCain, tweeted, “God bless John McCain, his family, and all who love him – a brave man showing us once again what the words grace and grit really mean.”McCain is the son and grandson of Navy admirals and after graduating from the US Naval Academy became a fighter pilot during the Vietnam War. He was shot down during a bombing run over Hanoi and captured on 26 October 1967. The crash and assault by his captors left him with two broken arms, a broken leg, broken shoulder and numerous stab wounds.He spent the next 5-1/2 years in various prisons, including the notorious “Hanoi Hilton,” where he was tortured and left with lasting disabilities.McCain provided one of the most dramatic moments in recent Senate history in July 2017 when he voted against a Trump-backed bill that would have repealed the healthcare law pushed through by President Barack Obama.The vote came late at night not long after McCain’s diagnosis and he still bore a black eye and scar from the surgery when he gave an emphatic thumbs-down gesture to scuttle the measure.Trump was furious about McCain’s vote and frequently referred to it at rallies but without mentioning McCain by name.McCain was elected to the House in 1982 and after two terms was elected to the Senate to replace retiring conservative leader Barry Goldwater.last_img read more

PWN2OWN Hacker Contest Targets Smartphones

first_img None of the smartphones that were slated for the attack were compromised. With mobile devices limited on memory and processing power, many researchers (hackers) main exploit techniques are not able to work.TippingPoint also identified unexpected complications with the possible combinations of handsets, operating systems and carriers introduced into the exploit equation. A spokes person at TippingPoint went on to say; “we didn’t realize how complicated it was.” In some cases TippingPoint wasn’t able to determine the exact phone or operating system’s version early enough to give researchers the lead time they needed to work up an exploit of a vulnerability they might have already uncovered. In next years Hackers Contest, TippingPoint plans to work out the details ahead of time so that it can publish the rules and specifications of the smartphones in plenty of time for researchers to prepare.An Apple iPhone could have been hacked if a researcher had wanted to part with the vulnerability. A TippingPoint spokes person commented, “there was an exploit at the show that could have broken the iPhone, but the researcher said that the $10,000 wasn’t enough to part with that level of vulnerability.”Some researchers just want to hold on to the bugs they have uncovered, even when offered $10,000 in cash. They have pride in their own little vulnerability they worked so hard on. But up© 2009 PhysOrg.com Citation: PWN2OWN Hacker Contest Targets Smartphones (2009, March 26) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2009-03-pwn2own-hacker-contest-smartphones.html This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. QuickTime Exploit Details Disputedcenter_img Explore further (PhysOrg.com) — TippingPoint, a security response team at 3Com Inc, had offered $10,000 for each exploit of any smartphones, which included Apple Inc.’s iPhone and RIM’s BlackBerry, as well as phones running the Windows Mobile, Symbian and Android operating systems.last_img read more